A'zimuth. n.s. [Arab.]
- The azimuth of the sun, or of a star, is an arch between the meridian of the place and any given vertical line.
- Magnetical azimuth, is an arch of the horizon contained between the sun's azimuth circle and the magnetic meridian; or it is the apparent distance of the sun from the north or south point of the compass.
- Azimuth Compass, is an instrument used at sea for finding the sun's magnetical azimuth.
- Azimuth Dial, is a dial whose style or gnomon is at right angles to the plane of the horizon.
- Azimuths, called also vertical circles, are great circles intersecting each other in the zenith and nadir, and cutting the horizon at right angles, in all the points thereof. Chambers